Sunday, August 17, 2008

The Firger Sweep Really Works



So yet again, another most embarrassing moment for me! I went to dinner with a friend at Tucanos. It was my first time and I was just figuring out how the whole concept there works. Then somewhere between BBQ meat coming to the table, eating as fast as it was placed on the plate and trying to keep up with our conversation, It happened. There it was, an obstruction in my airway. I was sitting there trying to stay calm, although Tyler told me he could start to see me panic. I first tried to swallow the piece of meat that was lodged in my throat. When I felt that wasn't working I tried coughing the piece out. At this point Tyler is asking over and over "Do you need me to do the Heimlich?" He was on the edge of his seat ready to jump up as soon as I gave the signal! I kept fighting it trying to cough the piece out. ( I just in envisioned a even more embarrassing moment as he is doing abdominal thrusts and a piece of meat shooting out of my mouth across the restaurant). There was no way I was going to draw any more attention to the situation. Time was quickly running out for me and the last option available was the finger sweep! The piece of meat was lodged pretty good in my pharynx. It looked so gross as I pulled the half chewed up piece and placed it on my plate. My favorite comment was when Tyler said "You really should have let me do the Heimlich!" I just tried to continue like nothing ever happened.I cant believe that happened to me, I was so embarrassed! At lest it keeps me laughing when I think of it. Love Tucanos and the next time I'll just have to cut my meat into baby bits!

1 comments:

JJ said...

Oh Shelly, I am torn between wanting to laugh and cry at the same time! So glad you are alright!