Thursday, February 7, 2008

Emergency Appendectomy...

This was right after surgrey. Those ice chips are so yummy!!!
Waiting in the ER... Thomas the big flirt kept us entertained. I think we made his day
Cassie with her special VIP visitor pass... I owe her big...
Right after I woke up from surgrey. Christian stoped by, it was nice to see a doctor I know.

So it turns out last Friday my appendix was a little inflamed and needed to be removed right away! I knew my body felt a little different, but I just thought I was gaining weight and getting fat. So I was going to the gym and working out more. In fact the night before I went to the ER I made myself go to a spin class! Funny to look back now, that night I was in pain and I knew something was not right. First thing in the morning I called my doctor and he sends me right away to the ER. He thought it sounded like my appendix, because most of my pain was on my lower right abdomonal. Thankfully Cassie was able to take to the Hospital. When I arrived to Washington Hospital Center, we were in the heart of DC. It was such a long and drawn out day. So much waiting and tests taken that resulted in more waiting... Cassie stayed the whole time at the hospital. I tried to send her home. We tried to keep entertained by all the ER patients that would rolled in. It was fun to see the hospital staff working away too. The CT scan was the absolutly the worst ever. First they give you this lovley cocktail of iodine and berry juice and make you down that while you wait a half hour. Then they take you down to Radiology where they prep you for more fun. Rectal intubation to say it nicley. That was the weirdest feeling ever! I had this metalic taste in my mouth, while more iodine was filtrated through out my body making everything very warm. Although I am glad I had the CT, doctors were able to see right away that my appendix was infected. Good news was that it was not perferated and that they would be able to operate laproscopicaly. Thank goodness! No scars! The only sad thing my scuba trip to Grand Cayman Islands has be postponed. The surgrey was exactily 7 days before scuba diving! I was really looking forward to this amazing trip. I was planning on doing at least 7 dives including the advance open water certification dive to 100 feet. Not only was it in the best place ever to scuba dive, but I felt like I was physicaly and mentally ready to dive again. I felt I was ready to overcome this hinderance of water because of what happened last time I went diving. As sad as it is I trully am thankful my apendix reacted when it did. For sure something would have happened in the Caymans and the situation could have been alot worse. There will always be another chance and my appendix wont get in the way of it next time...

4 comments:

Nicole said...

Glad you are feeling better and bummer about the scuba trip!

cassie said...

Shell... what a fun 2 days at the hospital! I stole your pics for my blog!

anniebish said...

Shelley, only you would try and metro to the emerency room. I thought of you the other day when I was flossing my teeth, you have revolutionized the way I floss. Feel better!

JJ said...

So, so glad that you are well!!! Can't wait to play when I get back!